Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 7: Tranatlantic Passage

Atlantic Ocean---Watches were busy with one cargo ship on The Captain's watch and it's so very dark with no moon. I am now reading President Obama's first book Dreams from my Father  and I like it. I finished Nelson Mandela's Long walk to Freedom at the beginning of this trip. I feel like after time in Africa, I want to know more. And there is so much I know I don't know.

Reading has been one of the luxuries of sailing, I have read more than 12 books.

After my watch I went right back to bed skipping my one cup of coffee with The Captain in the sunrise. I just was exhausted. By 10:30am the sun was coming through the companion way hatch and burning my legs and I felt like crap. I'm used to waking up cheerful and rested and this sucks---feeling like a train wreck. I warmed up the coffee and it tasted like a pot that had been sitting on the burner of an old gas station all day.

The day was lazy. I read, slept more, showered.

We are going SO SLOW it's painful and frustrating. It will take 20 days at this rate. Only 100 miles a day at 4-5 knots.

It's been one week and it is overwhelming to imagine another 10-15 more days. But, like a marathon, it's all about what's in my head. Keep one foot in front of the other...or one day at a time. Celebrate the miles we have accomplished. Break it in parts. Right now we are 13 lat/ 35 longs. I can do this.

Video Dairy Day 7: "Hi, this is Edee Dalke on Sailing Yacht Juno and this is how we take a shower every day! This is a wash down pump it brings salt water up so that you can wash and then we have a fresh water Sun Shower that we can rinse clean water, if the captain allows more than one cup that is. We have 1300 more miles plus to go we're at latitude 13, longitude 36."


No comments: