Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 14: Transatlantic passage

Atlantic Ocean---We caught fish number two! A yellow fin tuna. It was really, really good. I helped clean it and pretended to know what I was doing like any good Kansas girl should. We had it immediately for lunch. I am missing having more protein in my diet since we eat mostly rice, beans and pasta. We bought some canned tuna in Cape Verde but it is the dark tuna in oil and I have doctored it up with lemon and hot sauce but I don't think I can take any more of it.   This yellow fin was sushi perfect and it lifted everyones spirits. Mark made sad looking bread but it tasted good. I cleaned out the lockers by the fridge because last night I had a major allergy attack, like hay fever. The only thing I can think of is mildew in these lockers that get moisture from the cold of the fridge. Wind has picked up. It's nice and steady towards our bearing. Night watch was again full of rain and squalls but The Captain had it the worst. Wore my foulies...good thing.

Video Dairy Day 14: "Hi, This is Edee Dalke on Sailing Yacht Juno and it's day 14 on our transatlantic crossing and this is night watch. I have two watches. One from 11:30pm to 1:30am and 5:30am to 7:30am. You'd think that it would be getting easier but it's definately our body clocks are waking up but its just...you wake up and it's like 'are you kidding me', you get about 3 and a half hours of sleep. Right now we are going down wind with two poles so there is little to do with the sails. We have self steering which is a wind/air vayne and we're 540 miles to Barbados. I am wearing an EPERB, if I fall overboard they can find me, if I remember to turn it on, and then I also have something around my ankle that alerts the boat." 



No comments: