Friday, January 14, 2011

The new boat has arrived...IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!

Trinidad, still---I have spent hours looking out on the sea's horizon. Imaging the new 50 foot yacht to sail into the harbor. Or searching the boats at anchor thinking maybe, just maybe they are at Customs checking in.

It's been 12 days in Trinidad. I flew here earlier than required but still, the boat I am to crew on was suppose to be here 5 days ago. Lately, it's really been getting to me. I've been in 4 different rooms in 3 different hotels. I feel like a fish out of water, flopping around the deck, gasping for air. Sea air. I miss it so much.

Today, finally it arrived. IN GRENADA.

I guess they had some things break on the boat during their transatlantic passage and needed to go to Grenada instead. An island closer for them but I flew past them to be in Trini. (notice I've been here so long, it's now Trini like I'm a local)

So what am I going to do? Go to the beach. Yes, today I paid for a day trip to Tobago. The sister island of Trinidad located 21 miles away. My driver will be here at 3:45am (yes I am not kidding) and I will take the 6:45 fast ferry there and the 4pm ferry back. Round trip it cost $18 US. Tobago is suppose to be the jewel of this area. I had waited long enough for the boat and decided I wanted to see Tobago and so I shall.

After that, I'll find my way to Grenada 111.7 miles away, an Island I really wanted to see ever since reading the book: The Embarrassment of Mangos by Ann Vanderhoof. A story of a Canadian couple the stopped everything to sail the Caribbean for a few years. The way she described the island and confessed that it was their favorite, it made me want to see for myself.

I'm seeing these islands by accident it seems. But that's okay. I'm caught somewhere between Lost in Translation and the Accidental Tourist.

2 comments:

Crew of the Solstice said...

We're leaving Barbados for Prickly Bay, Grenada, Monday or Tuesday. Maybe we'll see you there.

tupelohoney said...

Edee i have you in my radar. take care. anne