Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wanted: Clothes Dryer.

Sibari, Italy---Apparently the Italians do not believe in clothes dryers. While we are enjoying all the amenities of a Marina, we have a washing machine but no dryer. All drying, I find out, is to be done outside, on a dry day, all day.

The washing machine is connected to its own laundry soap dispenser. For 1 Euro, we can select up to 40 Celsius of heat (about 104 degrees) yet for 2 Euro you can buy a load at 60c (140 degrees). We select 40c.

The load takes 1 hour and I have insisted that we separate whites from colors, a new concept for my boat mates, it appears, as the captain looks at me like I’m crazy.But since I’m doing the task he lets it go.
With the first load done, and the boat a good distance away, I borrow one of the kid’s bicycles, grab a couple bungee cords and wrap the bag of wet clothes to the child’s bike. Finding that there is still room to pedal with my knees sticking out like a wobbly clown in a circus act, I manage to not go into the water and get the clothes on board.

Juno has been fully equipped with lines strung about the deck from wintering here and a zillion clothespins brought from the states. We hang the clothes as a brisk wind begins to claim their dampness. Hanging cloths outside was part of my childhood, living on the edge of a small town in Kansas, that’s just how things were done then. Our 4 lines attached to a pole and crossbar, spread out like electric wires through the country side. It provided long straight rows to hold a full week of laundry. Many imaginary adventures were played out between the hanging sheets and towels as Mom would yell at us to stay out of the clean laundry.


Now, here I am, seeing no adventure between the clothes, I look at the boat laden with laundry, feeling more like the Beverly Hillbillies on water.

No comments: