Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Market Days

Sibari, Italy---I bought hand lotion for hair conditioner and eucalyptus ointment for honey, market days are always a learning experience.

Twice a week; Tuesdays and Fridays, the Marina has a van that will take patrons into the town of Sibani, 4.5 miles away from Laghni Di Sibari, our Marina complex. Aside from the fact I must close my eyes several times during the trip due to the crazy drivers, it breaks up the week and provides a nice routine.

Our first stop is the outdoor vegetable stand. Overflowing with fresh fruits and vegetables we select what will be needed for the next 3 or 4 days. I have never seen Romaine lettuce as huge as what is produced here; one leaf is the size of a small watermelon. The red peppers are inexpensive and sweeter than I have ever eaten. Fresh, not dried, garlic is a must as well as red onions, yellow onions, squash and huge plump white mushrooms. We have added strawberries lately because we made a contraption with 2 pans to mimic a double boiler and have been enjoying melted rich Italian dark chocolate over them. Bananas are the familiar Chiquita brand and I have been sampling all their versions of fresh apples. Our bill is usually about 8 Euro. ($10 dollars-ish divided by 4 people)

Next, is a strip of shops with the main destination Conades, the grocery/department store about the size of two 7-11’s. Things are limited but you can find all basics. One entire row, both sides, is dedicated to pasta (of course)…not counting the fresh pasta in the refrigerated section.
Meats are not pre-cut. The butcher will slice to order from huge mounds of meat. We discovered early that they DO NOT cut steaks thick like the states, even after requesting a thick cut it was barely 1 inch. Last week I forgot and my 1 kilo of steak was handed to me in 5 slices barely ¼ inch thick. Crunchy fresh bread, amazing prosciutto, spicy salami, cookies with real chocolate and standard salty chips are weekly standards. Our bill is usually around 40 Euro . (twice a week/80 Euro or about $100…divided by 4 people)
I can sneak over to the shop next door and for 1 Euro get an amazing cappuccino.
Next to this is a pastry shop where last visit I wanted to surprise everyone with some wonderful pastries. After the purchase I realized that one of the boys has a severe egg allergy and I needed to ask.
“Speak English?” I asked.
“No, no,” one of the bakers replies
“Egg?” I question holding my hands in an egg shape. “Egg!” I repeat thinking he just hasn’t recognized the oval shape I was making. “Bock, bock, bock, be-cak,” I cackle with my hands under my arm pits and head bobbing, making my best chicken impersonation.
“Ah! Conades,” he points towards the grocery store thinking I want to either buy eggs or he wants this crazy cackling women out of his shop soon.
“No, no. Eggs?” and I point to my pastries that they are wrapping like a Christmas gift with tissue paper and then a pretty paper wrap proclaiming the name of the shop: ”Dolci Momenti” (Sweet Moments).
“Ah! Se, Se,” he confirmed the pastries all have eggs.
Well, I will have to explain to my boat mate, knowing all the while, that just means more for the captain and I.

It’s not Publix, Dillions, Target or Walmart but in this small town, it’s just fine.

1 comment:

Stellarox said...

want to see more of the chicken impersonation when you return!