Friday, April 2, 2010

2.22.22

Sibari, Italy---My Mother was born on Feb. 22, 1922. Getting married and having a family later in life was very unusual in the 60’s and 70’s. As a rebellious teenager, it seemed like a huge generation gap but later I came to appreciate her wisdom and grace that only experience yields. She did a lot of praying for me especially during high school and college all with good reason! I did manage to steal a school bus and a church Van in high school and skydive 13 times, hop a train and hitchhike in Texas while in College, none of which she knew about. She just prayed for my safety.
Recently, someone told me that prayers don’t end. That a prayer of yesterday continues on through time. I like this theory. And since my Mother passed away nearly 13 years ago, I really like the idea that her requests for my safety are still in effect!

But strangely, since her passing 12 years ago, the numbers 2’s have come up a lot in my life. Addresses, the time, a reading on my calculator: 2222. Sometimes it is other numbers in a row, like 11:11 or 3:33 whenever I glance up at the time, etc. I like to think it’s Mom reminding me of her prayers so long ago. Once I shared this with my sister only to find out the exact same thing was happening to her. (play mysterious music now)

Well, here I am in a little Marina on the South Coast of Italy. Leaving the boat I noticed it painted on the dock. Our boat’s Marina slip, out of about a hundred, is slip 22. I wasn’t surprised. I smiled and shook my head.

Thanks Mom.

2 comments:

Jane O'Brien said...

That was really beautiful, Edee. I'm still lucky enough to have my mom with me.

Stellarox said...

nice!
i once has a winning streak in roulette with that number, and I've just always been fond of the number two. Maybe because I'm a twin. It's a good omen for you.