Thursday, April 15, 2010

Long Distance Doggie Love

Sibari, Italy---I have a great advantage with who I left my 14 year old dog with because I get to see him almost every day! Skype is a wonderful thing.

Mary Beth, my friend, the captain’s wife and the boys’ mother Skype’s every day. During the week, it happens at noon our time which, due to the 6 hour time difference, means MB has just woken up and we see a sleepy, coffee drinking MB on the other end of the computer connection.

They usually talk at least 30 minutes and she chats with each boy and Shirish. I am now added to the lineup and although I have already overheard how often Turbo wanted to go out during the middle of the night to the others, I get my turn and she moves the camera over to him and gives me the updates.

He spends his days with Kitty in their big back yard with a doggie-size Villa under the split level house. Actually, it sounds like he is getting spoiled and she is getting manipulated: multi dog walks with him, not her, leading the way, throwing his head in her lap to get extra love, and being restless at night in order for more attention.

She is getting wise to it.

He has taken his guard dog role by standing at her front door which scares the living daylight out of the mail man, as well as proclaiming to all passer-bys “there is now a large bark coming from this house so don’t mess with me.” Yet knowing full well what the police officer said to me after my home was robbed a few years ago:
“I have a dog but he was at a friend’s house,” I had said.
“Mame, is that your dog?” the reporting officer said looking through my French doors.
“Yes.”
“Mame, that dog would only wag someone to death,” he joked.

And then the phonebook on the table caught fire from the candle burning next to it…but that’s another story. For now, Turbo and Kitty are doing really, really well.

Note to Kelly: Mary Beth also sends a big thank you for the sponsorship.

No comments: