Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Delphi trip Sponsorship and the gift


Delphi, Greece (by way of bus from Trizonia)---Today we went to Delphi where the ancient ruins of Apollo and Athena’s temples are located. It was interesting and mind blowing to look at some of the preserved artifacts from so long ago. To hear the stories retold. To know Alexander the Great specifically traveled here to consult the Oracle, wouldn’t wait with the common folk, so he grabbed the Priestess and dragged her out of the temple to get the answer he came seeking: Should he try to conquer the World? She was so scared (and high on those gasses) she was saying “you are so strong, you are stronger than all the rest”, because she was afraid for her life. He took her cries as a prophetic message coming directly from Apollo.
About as reliable, I took my Magic 8 Ball.

Well, I couldn’t fit an entire Magic 8 Ball toy in my luggage to sail, so I took the insides. Does anyone know what the message reader inside a Magic 8 Ball looks like? Several years ago the curiosity consumed me so I took a hammer to the toy and pounded out a 20 sided white icosagon* (yes, I googled what a 20 sided form was called).
PARENTAL ADVISORY: Do not try this at home, take my word for it, it's filled with oil and ink.
TOY ADVOCATES: No other 8 Balls were hurt in this experiment.


My friends Rick and Barb sent me a donation in lew of flowers when my Dad died. In the museum shop in Delphi, I found a small silver ring with the Greek word and lettering “Gift” inscribed. It is an exact replica of a ring found from 430 BC. This struck me as a tiny memorial. My Dad gave me a lot of gifts even though he was a bit crazy. The gift of life itself for one, his independent spirit and a lot of desire to make my life different than the Kansas one I was originally destined to.











No comments: