Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Just a Day Sail..."

We left Trizonia today. I said good bye to Reinhard but no one else last night. Again I felt sad having crossed paths with some interesting people. My Mom used to tell me I hang on too close. I can’t be friends with so many people and try to keep up, she would say.

Maybe this year will teach me that: letting go.

So on to the next destination as we get closer to the Corinth Canal and Athens.

It will just be a day sail, but leaving early and hitting our destination by 10am seems too easy. We decide to continue, then continue again, past the next and the next. We try an anchorage that was too deep and decide a safe, tucked away, anchorage was only a couple more hours…

10 hours after leaving this morning we are FINALLY anchored in the middle of nowhere Med-style, actually nowhere has a name; it’s Vathi (off the Peloponnisos). Rocky hills 360 degrees around a circular bay because we had to zig-zag to this spot. No one in sight except a small barge anchored about a mile away. Deep water. We set an anchor in 30 feet of water that you can see the bottom as clear as the compass. The Captain orders 120 feet of chain, which since Orion and I have been assigned anchor duty we comply and once set, we have the place to ourselves.

We will rest here for the next day, because we have no immediate schedule. And I guess, because we can.

Note on photo: The boys take the dingy on shore to hike up the hill for daily exercise. Although we are anchored close to shore, it appears small. Also note, my first dip in the sea was here and it was 64 degrees F. yikes.

No comments: