Saturday, May 8, 2010

Odysseus and Homer; I get it.

The Greek island town of Vathi, Ithaca---I'm reading the Odyssey by Homer. It was Ithaca that Odysseus yearned for. The descriptions are real. If he really existed, then I get it. I love this island.
It had a horrible earthquake in 1953 so most of it is rebuilt and due to the British influence of late, the is more like the Bahama's or Bermuda than what you would picture as a "Greek island."

We spent 4 days at anchor here. One day we rented a car and went to Stavros, where the archaeological dig at Homer's school, the location where it is said to have stood Odysseus Palace.

Here are a collection of photos from Ithaca.













2 comments:

Staci said...

Hey there,

Thank you so much for the beautiful photo's...I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well and endured some foul weather and managed to get through the channel alright.
You are sorely missed here!
Much love,
Staci

Anonymous said...

No Pain, No Gain!
love u,
marie