Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Road Trip: Navpaktos

Gulf of Corinth, Navpaktos (by way of bus from Trizonia)---Today we got up really early, caught the 7am ferry and the 7:15 bus to a city just West of us called Navpaktos. For history buffs, this is the harbor and bay where the Battle of Lepanto was faught October 7, 1571.

Determined to see the Castle we climbed a jillion feet up to find it closed, but the view was incredible and the hike felt good after sitting in the boat all day yesterday due to rain.

We were able to do some business: phone store and a bank for cash before heading back.

After the bus ride back I got off the bus and as soon as it was pulling away realized I left my mini Ron Jon Silver’s pack back on the bus. The men around the Ferry started talking very fast and motioning me to get in to one of the guys Toyota pickup truck. He was someone who was familar in town. We zoomed off, following the bus to the next stop…just as it was pulling away. So what happened next was like a movie, my driver honks and weaves behind the bus. The bus driver seems to be cussing at us and pulls aside to let us pass. My driver pulls up and cuts off the bus yelling in Greek to explain the situation. I jump out and run to the bus as the doors open. I grab my bag and yell “Para-kalow (thank you ...or please) Returning to the dock I’m glad to see Shirish and the boys hadn’t left yet. I motioned that I got my bag and later found out the reason they had not left was it was the ferry captain who was my driver and had raced after the bus.

Anyway, I had decided to wait for the next ferry and explore the town across from our island. The town was called Glifadha. I found the baker who made the bread that we had been ordering thru the Mini Market in Trizonia. There was a café and a very small market, other than , it was nice to see the sights. back at the Ferry stop I ran into Reanhard and several others from Trizonia. Funny, after only being here a short time, we still greet each other as good friends. Such is a sailors life.

1 comment:

jim Benedict said...

Edee - I am very much enjoying your stories. You should have been a writer all these years! Safe travels-Jim Benedict