Sunday, July 18, 2010

Leaving Greece after being greatly humbled

Methoni, Peloponnese, Greece----After 3 months in the Greek Islands and some Mainland, it is time to go on to the next portion of our trip. Up until now I have felt very sure footed on the boat and dinghy and really haven't respected all the "what ifs" of carting our things from sailboat to land. Yesterday all that changed.

Marybeth and I were heading to the Wi-Fi cafe first thing in the morning.  Shirish ran us to the dock and I grabbed the ring and tied us off like I had so many times before. But, when leaving the boat to pull myself up on the cement dock, somehow I got the line mixed up with another boat sharing our ring. Pulling on this pulled that boat close and our boat the opposite direction. With my backpack and purse in hand, I did that "small boat wobble dance" and landed as a butt flop into the water, legs out like a visit to my Gyno.

You know how everything happens in slow motion at times like these?  As I was falling holding my computer bag like a baby, I lifted it as I fell. It went under a little, but the end result was me, completely under water, holding up my computer bag above my head, out of the water, trying to tread water and hope my friends would grab it.

Later, I found out the depth was only 4 feet.

I was wearing VERY light weight flowing white pants and a purple halter top with no undies. Okay, hey, it's really hot here.

A Greek man on the dock came running and everyone on the beach nearby seemed to stop what they were doing and stare for that minute.

My friends grabbed the computer and I waited a moment to compose myself. But...can you really compose yourself after that? Humiliated, I pulled myself up on the dingy as we rushed back to the boat to attempt to rescue my damp computer. As we left I poured out a full purse full of water and tried to keep a bloody knee from getting on my white pants.

My shipmates; the 2 boy geniuses and one of the smartest men I know, quickly went to work on my things. End result: a computer short somewhere between the battery and computer causing it to never really shut off unless you pop out the battery, Olympus digital camera dead and gone,  European phone, water spoted on the inside but it still works, a skinned up, banged up knee and a big bite of humble pie.

All the could of/should of's came out. I cried.

A huge lesson learned.  ...and YES, it could have been worse.

It will be funnier someday soon but right now, I'm still sulking.
Note: Juno is middle boat.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Edee, take the memory chip out of the camera and wash and dry it, your pictures that you have taken so far will still be on this chip. You can then get the pictures off this chip by using an adapter, or another camera.

Jim said...

I feel your pain, although the mental picture you sketch is amusing :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Edee, I'd give you a big hug if I could.You should have done the swan dive instead of a butt flop. :) I don't have a Gmail acct. so am posting this as anonymous. But I betcha know who this is...