Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Worlds Collide


I planned to be gone by March 1. But due to some issues needing to be resolved, I had to stay longer which kept me in Daytona for another Birthday. As the date was approaching, several girlfriends from different times in my life had contacted me about coming to see me. My birthday always falls on a huge event in Daytona: Bike Week. A time where thousands of Harley Davidson enthusiasts roll in for old farts Spring Break. I agreed and arriving from Texas, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, my worlds collided in Florida.

Enter;
The Queen: Daytona, the early years---1986-2000
The Rock Star: Daytona, the late years---2000-2008
The Nontraditional Professor: a college friend---1982-1985

Add local friends and it spells a long weekend of little sleep! Getting friends together from various stages in your life can be interesting and chancy. Will they get along?

But birds of a feather do flock together, and friends beget friends. It was a perfect combination of celebration and goodbyes. We laughed, we danced, we cried and we told stories.

A reflection of different times in life blended together to make the present. Standing at the Ocean Deck, a favorite reggae bar/grill on the ocean, I watched them from across the room laughing and carrying on without me, I let all the memories run through my mind.

And just like me with my mix of friends, the Ocean Deck has been the same since I arrived in Daytona in 1984, yet a wide variety of times have been shared there. The perfect place on the perfect weekend to bring worlds together.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Ocean Deck...a current running through all our Daytona Lives...linking past/present/future?

Anonymous said...

Hee Hee...that was a good night.

Barb said...

Enjoying your posts - glad you are adding pictures! Is that the Doc to the right in the picture? He looks like he could be your older brother. :)

Stellarox said...

excuse my teardrops..