Monday, January 4, 2010

After 26 years, how do you quit a job?

Email to Captain:
I talk to the Company tomorrow and I am scared to death! …just a huge step. Edee

Email from Captain:
Don’t be scared. Trust me, you will not regret it. You’ll be doing something most people will only dream of. Buon ano, Shirish

In all the years at the Company, I have been so fortunate to have great Bosses, 3 of whom will be life-long friends. As an independent contractor, it's my contract that stands as my parameters, but I am assigned to a Manager to represent my office and out of respect I have always called them my "manager."

My current Manager I call Boss-man. We go way back to 1996 and he has been my manager twice. I decided to wait until AFTER the holidays to tell him because I know this will create a lot of work for him. Although his statue and looks are between James Earl Jones and Emmit Smith, he is one of the most positive, encouraging, big hearted people I have ever known.

I had my speech all prepared: how I had this opportunity, how I love my job but it's been over 25 years, how concerned I was about my assistant, my clients, and my own future.

In usual Boss-man style, he already knew. He picked it up from my voice requesting his visit. And with his signature laugh: three hardy har, har, har's. He accepted my decision, agreed with the opportunity and said he needed to let it hit him on the drive back to Orlando.

Directly after he left I took my assistant to lunch and told her. Tires were shed. We spend more time together in waking weekday hours than family and friends! That bond is something a part timer would not understand. I laid out my plan and told her as much as I knew. She is an amazing worker, the type of person that is so smart and talented but doesn't fully realize it. Common sense is NOT common! She has been the other half of my brain for many years but after 11 years with me, it's time for her to find a new path also.

So FINALLY, an enormous weight has started to lift, and the plan is truly in motion. I'm going to do this.




No comments: