Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Decisions that hurt

I have to lay off an employee. They worked for me for 15 years. I’ve never had to do this so it is the hardest business action I have done to date. I have put it off for almost a month giving them some extra time, even though I am losing money. I am working with my door shut more than normal and tearing up in the office. They will never know how hard this is. Business can be cold. Following proto-call is robotic and looks insensitive…but there are no options. No one see’s my financials and no employee would be expected to understand the employer’s struggles. Most only think of themselves and their own ramifications. So it goes as expected: bad. Even the extra check I slip in their box is received with a sarcastic comment. By the end of the day, clients are calling-in reacting to the employee making bitter phone calls. I do as much damage control as I can. Other managers understand that the economy is tough and a tiny company like mine has to take the actions needed.

I learn there is no appreciation for the past, only bitterness about the present. I understand and I take it.

It’s hard to see the big picture when you are only looking at one piece of the puzzle.

No comments: